Fortnite is a unique game for many reasons. As a player, understanding the purpose of each Fortnite weapon is crucial to help you choose which weapons to hold in your inventory.
Weapon Color Power rankings:
- Gray (common)
- Green (uncommon)
- Blue (rare)
- Purple (epic)
- Orange (legendary)
- Gold (mythic)
Types of Weapons
There are four categories of Fortnite weapons: Mid-range, Short-range, Long-range, and Explosives.
There are also some weapons that NEVER run out of ammo – like the beam gun (mythic level). As of this writing, the easiest way to get these beam guns is by elim’ing one of the bots (they are in Starwars Storm Trooper uniforms).
With the current Winterfest events going on as well as the Starwars partnership presence, the Fortnite weapons are likely to change as the game puts out new updates. so we will make sure to update accordingly. Here is a run-down of the weapons in Fortnite as of this writing.
Arguably, the most common encounter in a Fortnite match is mid-range. While mid-range combat tends to happen more often in the game, fights usually begin in one of two ways. Once two opposing players encounter each other, a fight will occur as long as both players don’t run away from each other.
- if one player runs away and the other chases, this usually means the guy being chased is either low on health, doesn’t have resources, or knows he is overpowered by weapons. In my experience, most often the guy chasing will win the fight and get the elim.
- if both players approach each other for combat, we’ll then have either a mid-range shootout, OR we’ll see the players progress towards more of a short-range fight. The dynamics of mid versus short range fights are quite different
Although mid-range encounters are likely to end up being short-range battles, here are the available weapons for mid-range combat.
Burst Assault Rifle – each time you tap the fire button, this weapon shoots bursts of three shots at an opponent.
Assault Rifle – fires once with the tap of the button.
Sub Machine Gun – fires automatically for as long as the button is pressed. Seems to be less accurate then an assault rifle as the distance gets larger.
As mentioned above, many short range fights begin as a mid-range encounter. As players naturally gravitate towards each other, they will switch from their mid-range weapons (such as assault rifles) to something like a shotgun or even lightsaber. Here’s a run down of the Fortnite short-range combat weapons available at players’ disposal.
Tactical Shotgun – this weapon is great because there is minimal time in between shots, compared with the tactical shotgun.
Pump Shotgun – as mentioned above, sometimes you have to take what you find. If it’s the first weapon you find, you’re picking it up!
Light Saber – extremely formidable and hard to defend against. We’re unsure how long these will remain in the game, but they’re here for now. Although lightsabers can be incredibly annoying, we’ve all gotten our fair share of elims with them, so they’re at least a little bit fun. But I’m still not 100% sure about the general consensus… do people like them or not? For close combat I mean you really can’t beat them. And each box has like 4 of them inside, so you can mark them for your squad.
Sniper Rifle – the only true long-range weapon with a scope, the sniper rifle is valuable for at least one of your squadmates to hold on inventory.
*Some would categorize the assault rifle as a long range weapon, because it is effective a far distances. However, keep in mind there is no scope and you lose a bit of accuracy the further away you get.
Explosives are valuable for a few reasons. For one, they deal a large amount of damage. Additionally, they deal damage to structures, which can be valuable when your opponent is building and you want to knock them out of the structure.
Rocket Launcher – long range and powerful. If someone use a rocket launcher on you, the only advantage you have is that you have a few seconds to see them coming and move out of the way before it hits.
Snowball Launcher – mid-range and deals splash damage over a hefty radius. This means that even if you have no aim accuracy, you should still be able to get a couple elims.
Grenades – these are really great for knocking down structures. the challenge with using them is that you can only carry 6 and they are difficult to aim.
Selecting your inventory:
Aside from your harvesting tool, you only have 5 open spaces for inventory, so choose wisely. Based on our descriptions above, here are our thoughts about about how to decide what to hold in inventory.
- First, you want to hold any kind of assault rifle, or a handgun. These are the most versatile weapons and can be used effectively at further mid-range distances, as well as close up short range if need be.
- Tactical shotgun, ideally a purple/gold shotgun of any kind. Given that tactical shotguns of purple/gold are so much more rare, its worthwhile holding a green or blue tactical if that’s all you find. You’ll need it for close range.
- (and 4) – either a Sniper rifle or rocket launcher should take third and fourth priority, consuming those slots if you’re lucky enough to find both. Rocket launchers are rarer than snipers, so if you don’t have a rocket launcher, its worth holding grenades or a snowball launcher in place. Having an explosive like this is extremely valuable to knock down build structures,
- see above #3
- Blue half-pot shield potions. Ultimately, you want to have some type of healing in your inventory at all times. Often, you’ll be able to find more and pick up what you need in a bind, but its crucial that you have something just in case you end up with close to no health. Blue shield potions are the best because they are the only ones that can put you back up to 200. But use your best judgement when deciding what makes sense. If you have to run from the storm, you’ll want to have at least 10 or more bandages just in case.
Success! You're on the list.
Whoops! There was an error and we couldn't process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.