Here are a few tips for Fortnite beginners to keep from getting destroyed.
Drop in close to a building
- Dropping in close to a building will allow you to more quickly find weapons and ammo. You’ll find chests of loot inside buildings. If possible, land close to a door, on a balcony, or on a roof and use your pickaxe to bust through.
- when you land, act fast. Loot as quickly as possible – you never know when an opponent drops in right next to you! Its a race, oftentimes, to see who can get to the chests first.
- keep an eye on others dropping in right next to you. They’re a threat that you’ll have to deal with. If you can’t get to a weapon before encountering them, use your mining weapon to deal some damage. If they get a weapon before you and you can’t find one, RUN!
Manage your inventory
- You only have 5 slots, so choose wisely.
- At the beginning, pick up the first weapon you find, even if just a pistol. You’ll be able to get early eliminations with a pistol usually.
- You want to fill up your inventory as quickly as possible and constantly swap out for better weapons or weapons with more ammo.
- Keep shield potions or a health kit in your inventory, you’ll be thankful you have it!
- Consuming shield potions as soon as you pick them up until your shields are maxed out to free up inventory and build up your defense strategy.
Eliminating other players is the best way to get resources and weapons.
- Acquiring Resources and Weapons: The best way to acquire more resources and better weapons is not by searching loot chests, but by getting elims and taking those players’ weapons. Think about it: each time you get an elim, get to loot a curated selection of weapons from that player searching multiple loot chests throughout the match. The same can be said for resources. When you elim another player, you get all the resources that they acquired, and can thus quite easily max out on resources by getting a couple elims.
Understand what the weapon colors mean
- Power of Weapons: weapons that have colored hazes are the best – green, purple, blue, and gold. The colors correspond to the power. Grey is the weakest, gold is the most powerful. You’ll notice that two of the exact same type of weapon are not always equal in power. If you have two of the same weapon, look for a chance to swap out the weaker of the two for a better one.
There are 4 categories of weapons:
- Close quarters: tactical shotgun, submachine gun, and pistol are a couple options for close quarters. Tactical shotgun is probably one of the most powerful.
- Mid range: Assault rifles. When engaged in a mid-range fight, players tend to gravitate closer together. You’ll want to be ready to quickly switch to something like a tactical shotgun if needed.
- Long range: Snipers are not only extremely formidable, but also great to get a closer look at the action. The scope is extremely helpful when viewing buildings from afar before approaching.
- Explosives: Grenades, rocket launchers, etc. Rocket launchers and grenades work well if someone is building up and you can’t access them. Also, if you’re in a building and not sure where someone is downstairs, I like to throw a grenade or two as an attack strategy.
Use your position on the map to your advantage
- Positioning: knowing where you are on the map at all times.
- Camping out can be helpful for short periods of time if you need to heal or apply a shield potion, but keep in mind that if you’re in the same spot too long, you put yourself at risk.
- Don’t get caught outside the circle. Keep an eye on the map as well as the timer in the corner of the screen – make sure you’re ahead of the storm circle and get in early.
- As the storm approaches, you need to move or your health will start to drop and you’ll eventually die.
- As you go towards the middle, keep in mind you’re more likely to encounter other players, so be ready.
- If you’re already inside as the storm is approaching, watch the perimeter as late players run to the middle – this is a great opportunity to pick people off and attack unexpectedly.
- note: camping outside the storm circle and using a bandage launcher to stay alive is NOT a viable strategy!
Learn to build up
- Practice building up: Building up is difficult, especially for beginners.
- Practice building up when you’re not near combat areas. This can help you learn the flow of structure building and help you estimate what you can build with your given amounts of materials.
- Go into creative mode to practice building up.
- If you’re in the middle of the action, build up QUICKLY or else run. Again, building up is hard but it can be SUCH a valuable strategy especially as the circle gets smaller and smaller.
- The people that build up really quickly and smoothly are the experienced players and it shows – it truly makes all the difference
Customize your button layout for better control
- Mobile Controls: If you’re playing on mobile, you can manage the location of the buttons on the screen by tapping the hamburger icon in the top right corner of the screen, and selecting “HUD Layout Tool“. Having your buttons in a customized location can make all the difference.
- Be Social! Fortnite is unique because it has such a large and awesome community.In addition to Solo Battle Royale, play Duos! This will allow you to meet other people and talk to the other players. In duos, everyone tends to be friendly and adopts a general collaborative team mentality.
- If you have extra shield potions or health kits / med packs, share them with your teammate.
- This is a good opportunity to learn from experienced players in the Fortnite community and have others to play with in the future.
- You can add people from Duos as a friend and then play with them again.
What I’ve shared above is the culmination of what I learned playing Fortnite for the last two weeks. I’m definitely still a noob but I hope this has been helpful.
If you’d like to get the monthly newsletter, sign up below.